Texas Adoptive Family Services
WHEN ADOPTING THROUGH ABC:
Basic Agency Requirements:
Prospective adoptive parents must:
1. Demonstrate a capacity to give and receive affection;
2. Be able to provide for a child’s physical and emotional needs;
3. Demonstrate financial management reflecting the ability to meet the needs of a child placed in the home;
4. Not have a conviction for any sex offense, offense with violence (assault), or any felony conviction. Misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis and may be a basis for denial of an application or may require additional services such as a risk assessment;
5. Be willing to sign a contract setting out the birth mother’s wishes regarding post-adoption photos and letters.
This information will be gathered through the adoptive applicants directly, through references, through a home study conducted by a licensed social worker or licensed professional counselor, and through other reasonable means.
In addition, all prospective applicants will have to undergo a physical examination to determine their health condition. The age of applicants is reviewed on a case by case basis.
Home Study Requirements:
An adoption home study requires the following:
1. At least 3 face to face visits between the prospective adoptive parent(s) and the social worker or counselor. Two visits will be in the home and one will be at the Agency’s office.
2. Criminal background checks (including child abuse clearance, state background check, and FBI clearance) for all persons over the age of 18 years living in the home.
3. Financial history (including employer letters, pay stubs, income tax returns, etc.).
4. Physical examination (forms are provided by the Agency to be completed by the physician).
5. Reference letters.
In addition, other documents and/or forms will be required of the applicants, including but not limited to health home inspection, fire inspection, floor plan, copies of all identifying documents, etc. A list of all requirements is provided to the prospective adoptive family at the first visit. A final evaluation of the information is made in order to determine whether the applicants meet the requirements for approval as adoptive families.
WHEN WORKING WITH A HAGUE ACCREDITED AGENCY:
ABC Adoption Agency will conduct a home study for a family that is working with a Hague Accredited Agency on international adoption. The home study, upon completion, will be submitted to the accredited agency for approval. The basic requirements listed on this website for Home Study Services will be followed.
Mileage fees are charged for families not residing in San Antonio, Texas.
ABC Adoption Agency provides post-placement supervision to families that may have adopted a child through an out-of-town agency but reside in San Antonio (or surrounding cities). A minimum of 5 post-placement visits is normally required prior to an adoption being granted. Post-placement reports are generated and submitted to your Agency.
STEPPARENT ADOPTION HOME STUDY:
ABC Adoption Agency provides home study services for stepparent adoptions. The procedure is very similar to the home study requirements documented herein but pertains mostly to the adopting parent although the birth parent is interviewed and takes an important role in the process.